Image: Rachet tie down
Made of polyester webbing, ratchet straps are highly useful tools. There is a wide variety of ratchet straps available in the market. Each type has different applications. While some maintain flexibility and softness, other ratchet straps have reinforced sides to resist tears and cuts. The first type is highly suitable for hauling cargo that requires care, such as furniture and beehives.
Nonetheless, how to use a ratchet does not entirely depend on the type. Usually, all ratchet straps are used the same way. EZ Connect Floats can guide you in the right direction when it comes to ratchet straps. Get in touch with us if you're interested. In the meantime, read on.
Image: How to work a ratchet strap
In this blog, we have shared how to use a ratchet strap and how to release it in a simple way.
Table of contents
- How to thread a ratchet strap
- How to release a ratchet strap
- Why choose EZ Connect Floats?
- Key takeaways
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about ratchet straps
How to thread a ratchet strap
Ratchet straps are versatile tools that can be used to secure loads and equipment during transportation. They use a ratcheting mechanism to tighten the strap and hold the load in place. Let us take you through the step-by-step process of how to thread a ratchet.
- Step 1: Choose the right strap for the job - Before using a ratchet strap, make sure that the strap is rated for the weight of the load. Ensure that it is long enough to wrap around the load and secure it properly.
- Step 2: Attach the strap to the anchor point - The anchor point can be a trailer, truck, or any other sturdy object that can hold the weight of the load. Thread the end of the strap through the anchor point and back onto itself. Pull the strap tight to ensure that it is secure.
- Step 3: Thread the strap through the ratchet mechanism - Once the strap is attached to the anchor point, thread the loose end of the strap through the ratchet mechanism. Make sure that the strap is flat and not twisted.
- Step 4: Tighten the ratchet strap - To use one, you must know how to tighten a ratchet strap. Use the ratchet handle to ratchet the strap. Pull the handle up and down until the strap is tight enough to hold the load in place.
- Step 5: Lock the strap in place - Once the strap is tight enough, lock it in place by closing the ratchet mechanism. This will prevent the strap from loosening during transportation.
When you are learning how to tighten a ratchet strap, you may find yourself perfecting it in a few attempts. Eventually, you will perfectly know how to work a ratchet strap or how to tighten a ratchet strap. We recommend you do it slowly and properly to avoid any tangles or locks.
How to release a ratchet strap
Learning how to use a ratchet strap does not just include tightening it. It also involves learning to release it. After all, you need to untie it after the work is done. Truth be told, it is comparatively easier to release a ratchet.
Keep reading to find out how to work a ratchet strap in terms of releasing it step by step.
- Step 1: Release the handle - To undo the ratchet strap, first pull and hold the release handle. Open it all the way. You now know how to tighten a ratchet strap. So the opposite will make it loose. Thus, opening the ratchet handle will release the webbing and loosen it.
- Step 2: Pull the strap - Pull the ratchet strap out of the ratchet mandrel through the axle slot.
- Step 3: Close the ratchet - Finally, close the ratchet down and you're done.
Image: A released ratchet strap
Why choose EZ Connect Floats?
EZ Connect Floats is the go-to brand for all your ratchet needs. Our innovative and user-friendly designs are perfect for securing your loads and equipment during transportation. EZ Connect Floats ratchets are versatile and can be used in automotive, construction, and mechanical applications. Also, explore our wide range of other products like floats, reflectors, and foam fills.
To use a ratchet strap, first, attach the hook to the anchor point, then thread the strap through the ratchet and tighten it by cranking the ratchet handle. To release the strap, push the release lever on the ratchet and pull the strap out.
Be sure to store the strap properly to prevent damage or tangling. Ratchet straps can be used in a variety of situations where you need to secure or tie down items.
If you are already using ratchet straps and are tired of struggling with complicated ones, switch to EZ Connect Floats ratchets. Whether you're securing a small load or a large piece of equipment, our ratchets are built to last.
Contact us today to learn more about our products and place an order. Our user-friendly designs and high-quality materials are known for securing heavy and bulky items.
Frequently Asked Questions about ratchet straps
1. Why do you use ratchet straps?
Tie-down straps or ratchet straps are greatly useful in transporting cargo in a vehicle. The straps enable you to ensure that the items are secured to a place such as a truck bed or a roof rack.
2. Why do ratchet straps have hooks?
The hooks are for tying the ratchet strap to a secure anchor point.
3. What are the benefits of a ratchet strap?
The benefits of a ratchet strap include secure and reliable cargo transportation, adjustable tensioning, and efficient loading and unloading processes.
4. How strong are ratchet straps?
Ratchet straps are capable of a working load limit as high as 5,000 pounds and a 15,000-pound break strength rating.